Why A Child Support Order Might Change

On Behalf of | May 4, 2021 | Child Custody & Support |

Colorado law generally requires both parents to provide financial assistance to their children. In some cases, this may be true even if you don’t have custody or visitation rights to your son or daughter. An initial support order is generally created when you end your relationship with your child’s other parent. However, this order may be modified if circumstances change in the future.

Did you experience a change in income?

If your income decreases drastically after a separation or divorce, you may be entitled to additional support from your former partner. In the event that your income goes up significantly, your former partner may ask to reduce the amount of support that he or she provides. This may also occur if you receive an inheritance, win the lottery or otherwise acquire resources that make it easier to raise your child.

Have you recently incurred a significant expense?

A judge may agree to modify an existing child support order if you incur a significant expense such as an unexpected medical, repair or tax bill. The same may be true if you need to pay medical, educational or other extraordinary expenses on behalf of your child.

Are you going to be incarcerated?

In the event that you’re convicted of a crime, you may spend a significant amount of time in county, state or federal custody. A judge may agree to suspend your child support obligation until you are released. Your family law attorney may be able to help you learn more about your responsibilities as an incarcerated parent.

If you’re struggling to stay current with a child support obligation, it’s generally in your best interest to contact an attorney. He or she may be able to help you obtain a modification to an existing order in a timely manner. A legal adviser may also provide advice as to what you can do to remain in good standing with the court until the modification takes effect.